– Autumn Crocus
– highly toxic. If ingested, this plant can cause severe vomiting, gastrointestinal bleeding, liver and kidney damage and respiratory failure.
– eating a few of these leave can result in vomiting, diarrhea and excessive drooling. The pet can fall into a coma and possibly die.
– can cause severe vomiting
– Daffodil Bulbs
– can cause severe vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain. More serious reactions include abnormal heart rate or changes in respiration.
– can cause intense oral irritation, drooling, nausea, vomiting and difficulty swallowing
– Hyacinth/ Tulip Bulbs
– contain concentrated amounts of toxins in the bulb. If ingested in large amounts, bulbs can affect breathing and cause severe vomiting, diarrhea and an increase in heart rate.
– can cause vomiting, diarrhea and heart arrhythmia
– certain types, such as tier, day, Asiatic, Easter and Japanese lilies, are highly toxic to cats. Severe kidney failure can result from ingesting even a dew petals or leaves. See a veterinarian immediately if it is ingested.
– which is an outdoor shrub, has extremely toxic leaves and flowers that can cause severe vomiting, slow heart rate and possibly death.
– Sago Palm
– the leaves and seeds and cause vomiting, bloody stools, damage to the stomach lining, severe liver failure, and even death.
– Baits for rodents, snails and slugs – can result in blood clotting disorders, brain swelling or kidney failure, or even severe tremors or seizing.
– Blood meal – used as an organic fertilizer, can cause vomiting, diarrhea and severe inflammation of the pancreas.
– Bone Meal – organic fertilizer made from animal bones that have been ground to powder, which cab form a concrete-like obstruction in the stomach that could require surgical removal.
– Insecticides – gastrointestinal irritants to pets
– Fertilizers – some are combined with dangerous chemicals and compounds called organophosphates or carbamates, which can be harmful to pets, which can result in drooling, watery eyes, urination, defecation, seizures, difficulty breathing, fever and death.
Cleaning solution, antifreeze, fragrance sprays and other common household chemicals are often stored under sinks or on garage shelves where pets can gain easy access.- Acids (such as drain and toilet cleaners)
– Alkalis (such as ammonia, lye, and some types of drain and toilet cleaners)
– Enzymatic cleaners (used for breaking down proteins and organic matter)
– Fabric softeners
– Glow jewelry
– Ice melt products that contain sodium or salt-like ingredients
– Liquid potpourri
– Paint solvents and lacquers
– Paint balls
– Pine oils/ essential oils
– Solvents (such as cleaners used to remove oil, grease and grime)
– Teflon-coated cookware (birds only)
Non-Ingested Poisons – Inhaled Poisons
– Carbon Monoxide, smoke and chemical fumes
– Can result in coughing, disorientation or unconsciousness
– Move him/her to fresh air immediately
– Install carbon monoxide and smoke detectors and change the batteries every six months
– Have adequate ventilation in the room
– Learn pet CPR (will be a separate blog post)
– If a poison is entered through the skin, use soap and water to thoroughly clean your pet’s belly, legs and feet
Toxic Table Scraps
– Fatty Foods
– Grapes and Raisins
– Macadamia Nuts
– Onions and Garlic
– Yeast Dough
How do you pet proof your home?
– Cover trash bins – or better yet, store them in a pantry or closet
– Fence off compost bins – the the sake of your pets and the wildlife
– Install baby locks on cabinets that house cleaning solutions
– Don’t store pills in plastic zipper bags or weekly pill storage containers, as these are eay for dogs to chew through.
– Store medications in secure, elevated cabinets
– Close toilet lids, especially if you use automatic or clip-on toilet bowl cleaners
– Know that Top Ten Poisonous Plants before purchasing a plant for your household
– Wipe down your pet’s belly, legs and paws after being outdoors, especially in the winter
– Keep your purse (and its contents, such as gum) away from your pet
– Double check the pills you are administering to your pets and to yourself
– Don’t leave pills out, even for a few seconds, as your pet could knock them off the counter and ingest them quickly
Thanks for reading! Hopefully this was informative. Please follow AnimalChamps blog for more posts.